This article was written by Andy McCall. Andy is in his 9th year teaching, and does everything to honor his little girl, Penelope, who passed last year. He is the author of the new book: Pig & Steel. Check him out on his Blog.
DO YOU WANT TO WRITE FOR BORED TEACHERS? CHECK OUT OUR GUIDELINES & SEND YOUR SUBMISSION TO: BLOG@BOREDTEACHERS.COM!
Spring break, Christmas break, and summer break are all music to a teacher’s ears, but there is also something that gets us even more excited than the kids... That ladies and gentlemen is a SNOW DAY.
I’ve never heard anyone complain about a true snow day. It’s magical. Hopefully they called school off the night before and gave you the luxury of swiping that alarm off your phone. But even if they called at 6 o'clock the morning of, there is nothing like that feeling of falling back into bed, knowing you can rest just a few minutes (or hours) more.
Soon enough, you’ll be waking them back up at 9am while teaching nouns, and saying things like, “Please don’t eat that,” and “Yes I know we were out yesterday, but today we have to do fractions.”
Until then, here are 10 reasons snow days are a teacher’s best friend:
1. Hot coffee tastes so, SO good!
Nothing like actually drinking coffee while it's still hot, overlooking a landscape full of white snow, instead of white worksheets and tests.
2. You get to secretly snicker at "that" mom whose Facebook status reads: “These kids are driving me nuts!”
Sip your warm coffee and enjoy the comments in silence.
3. You can go to the bathroom whenever you want, as many times as you want.
It’s the little things in life that go such a long way.
4. You can catch up on Seasons 1-3 of that Netflix series that you usually fall asleep on.
5. You finally get to sit down to not 1, not 2, but 3 meals if you want.
6. You actually get to eat a meal at a table, not in a to-go box or a Tupperware at 9pm.
7. You can actually hear yourself think.
It might be things like, “Nope... No way that snow will melt! We can’t be going in tomorrow...”
8. You don’t have to worry if Johnny did his homework (well, until tomorrow).
9. If you do have to go in tomorrow, your lesson plans are already done!!!
10. You don't have to choose between laundry and sleep, because you have the time for both!
Winter is almost over. Keep doing those silly snow day dances with your kids, keep your fingers crossed, and pray to Mother Nature to keep the blizzards coming until Spring (during weekdays only, please), so we can enjoy a few more wonderful snow days!
SHARE this ARTICLE!