10 Funny English Expressions & Their Literal Meanings
Ever think about the literal meaning of some of the English expressions we use every day? Check out these awesome illustrations by artist Roisin Hahessy, who came up with the idea while teaching English as a foreign language in Brazil!
1. ...and "bob's your uncle!"
2. That test was a "piece o' cake!"
3. My old dog "kicked the bucket" last year.
4. My "heart was in my mouth" on that roller coaster.
5. Get your "head out of the clouds" and concentrate!
6. The engine is "dead as a doornail", no way we can fix it.
7. You are "as cool as a cucumber" under pressure!
8. I was "blue in the face" when I realised...
9. Whoa, "hold your horses" there pal!
10. Don't make "a storm in a teacup" about it!
All images via Rosha.ie
Check out more of this artist's work at her website: Rosha Illustration!
Leave a comment